Monday, November 29, 2010

December 6th...

   It's hard to believe that date is right around the corner! It marks two major things in my life; number one being mine and Zach's six month anniversary (woo hoo!), and the second one being the day I found out I was pregnant. I can't believe that was almost a year ago... it seems like it was just yesterday. I guess time really does pass by with the blink of an eye. That was such a life changing day for me.
   I was a few days late, which really wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me. But the latest I'd ever been was about 3 or 4 days... this time, it was more like 6. I really wasn't even concerned about it at all either, but figured I'd go ahead and pee on a stick. I never would have guessed what it would tell me.
   It was the morning of December 6th, 2009. I woke up, walked out to where Zach was with the test in my hand and said, "What do you think? Should I take it." He told me, "Sure. Go ahead." I took a deep breath and walked down the hallway. I had been holding my pee (and my breath) for quite awhile at this point. I looked back at him, he smiled, and then I shut the bathroom door.
   In case you didn't know, those tests tell you to pee on the one end, lay it on a level surface, and wait 2 minutes for accurate results. Well, I didn't even have to wait the full 2 minutes. As soon as I laid it down, there was the little pink plus sign, staring back at me. Most girls I know would have cried, either from joy or fear, but me... I just thought "Well, okay... here we go!" 
   I walked back out to him in the living room, pee stick in hand and said, "Guess what?" and showed it to him. We just looked at each other like we couldn't believe it. He kept saying "Well maybe it's not right." - they are the same type pee stick tests the doctors use... they're pretty darn accurate. - "Maybe you should take another one before we tell anyone." - if you really think so... then okay. 
   I spent the next hour or so chugging liquids - water, milk, juice... you get the idea. I thought I'd have to wait awhile before I had to go pee but it turns out that when you're pregnant, you have to pee more often! So I grabbed the other pee stick and back down the hall I went.Yeap. There it was again. That blaring pink little plus sign. I walked back out to him and said, "Well, I guess we're having a baby!"
   It was hard for me to believe. I'm pretty sure it was hard for him to believe too. But doesn't it make sense that if you have sex, you might very well end up pregnant? You'd think people would know that by now, since that's been the pattern for years and years. But it was still hard to comprehend.
   A baby? You mean this little person who is half of you and half of them? Someone who is going to depend on you for the rest of their lives? Another mouth to feed? How do you raise them? What lessons do you want them to learn? How can we afford this? Where are we going to live? All these questions and so many more pop into your head all at once the moment you find out you are having a baby.
   We weren't in the best of situations then. I won't go into detail, but just know that things were rough. But we somehow had to figure out a way of life that would work for us. We didn't think too hard on this right away because we still had another 8 months to go. If I could go back in time, I would have started planning right away! 
   And here we are now, almost a year later. Our baby boy is here and he is almost 4 months old. He has learned so many things, and so have we. Like how to keep him covered up while doing diaper changes so we don't get peed on. Wait a few minutes after he's pooped before changing him, because there just might be more in there! Bibs work better than burp cloths, but only when they're older because when they are newborns, you need more material to work with. Other wise, you'd be changing bibs every hour. 
   I have also learned that entertaining an almost 4 month old can be very hard work. You have to constantly mix things up! And that it's okay for me to take a nap/shower/do laundry/do nothing while Zach watches him for a little bit. Toes and tongues are apparently the coolest toys there are and Charlie's face feels and looks funny. Bath time is the greatest thing ever. And umbrella strollers are much easier to work with than travel systems!
   They say that when the child is born, so is the parent. But the also say that the children raise the parents. I believe 100% that your children raise you to be the parent you are because without their guidance, what would you have to go on? You have to go by their cues. When they're hungry, you feed them. When they're tired, you put them to sleep. When they're not feeling good, you comfort them. Yes this is all common sense, but you get better at it the more you do it. 
   Not to mention that before they came along, things were very different! You had the freedom to go out whenever you wanted, no need for a babysitter, you didn't have to think about someone else's needs first... but now you do. You want to go out? That takes planning. You want to buy something new? Think again. That money could be spent on diapers! That is why I believe your children raise you.
   Right now my little boy is sleeping. I think I'm going to go join him, seeing as how I've gotten so little lately. I just wanted to share the story of how I found out my whole life was going to change... and for the better. Goodnight...

No comments:

Post a Comment